The University of Nevada, Las Vegas Runnin’ Rebels of the Mountain West Conference will visit the Golden Gophers of the University of Minnesota Thursday night at TCF Bank Stadium. Coming off a 2-11 season, UNLV will play the Gophers in the kick-off game for the second straight year. Last year, the Gophers beat UNLV 30-27 in triple overtime in Las Vegas.
Five things to know about UNLV
- Head coach Bobby Hauck is entering his fourth year as head coach of UNLV and has a record of 6-32, winning two games in each of his first three seasons.
- The football program began in 1968 and has been a member of the Mountain West Conference since 1999.
- The Runnin’ Rebels are perfect in bowl games — three appearances in three decades: 1984 (California Bowl), 1994 (Las Vegas Bowl) and 2000 (Las Vegas Bowl). The bowl victory in 1984 was forfeited due to an NCAA violation.
- Former Minnesota Vikings quarterback Randall Cunningham played for UNLV and led them to the 1984 bowl victory. He returned to UNLV to graduate in 2004.
- Following the matchup with the Gophers, UNLV will play Arizona and Central Michigan at home.