Mandatory Credit: Jesse Johnson-USA TODAY Sports
Running back David Cobb followed a 1,200-yard rushing season in 2013 with even better numbers last season, as he set Minnesota’s single-season school record with 1,626 rushing yards while also scoring 13 touchdowns. That performance put him in the cross hairs of NFL scouts, and the Tennessee Titans drafted him in the fifth round (138th overall) of May’s draft.
With only the less-than impressive Bishop Sankey theoretically ahead of him on the depth chart, Cobb had a clear opportunity to earn a big immediate role in Tennessee. He started to fulfill that possibility quickly, with 11 carries for 53 yards against the Atlanta Falcons in the Titans’ preseason opener, but a severe calf injury kept Cobb out of the very important third preseason game and the news got worse on Sunday with Week 1 on the horizon.
Cobb will not be eligible to play until Tennessee’s ninth game of the coming season, which will be Week 10 against the Carolina Panthers at home.
More from Gold and Gopher
- Must-have Minnesota Golden Gophers items for football season
- Minnesota Golden Gophers Father’s Day Gift Guide
- Minnesota Golden Gophers Gift Guide: 10 Man Cave must-haves
- Get Golden Gophers News, in the New FanSided Android App
- Gold and Gopher Madness: Win $500 or an Apple TV from RetailMeNot and LockerDome
Barring an unlikely move from 2-14 last season all the way to playoff contention, the Titans will have to latch onto the promise of the future at some point during the coming season. If a healthy Cobb is ready to hit the ground running when he’s able to play, he and quarterback Marcus Mariota could bring some much-needed positive momentum to Titans’ fans over the final seven games of the season.
More from Minnesota Football
- Golden Gophers Football: Matt Limegrover and Jim Zebrowski Fired
- Golden Gophers vs. Iowa: Game Time, Odds, Broadcast Map, Announcers
- Golden Gophers Football: Tracy Claeys Named Permanent Head Coach
- Golden Gophers vs. Iowa: 5 Players to Watch
- Golden Gophers Football: Tracy Claeys May Have Interim Label Removed