Mandatory Credit: Eric Hartline-USA TODAY Sports
Hockey season is fast approaching, and on Tuesday Gopher men’s head coach Don Lucia announced that Connor Reilly, Hudson Fasching and Jake Bischoff will serve as alternate captains for the 2015-16 season. Junior forward Justin Kloos was named team captain for the upcoming season in early August.
Reilly, a redshirt junior, was leading the Gophers in goals (11) last year before an injury ended his season after 24 games. He posted career highs in goals and assists (16) before being sidelined, and Reilly will be a key part of Minnesota’s power play again this season.
Fasching is also a junior, with 56 points (26 goals and 30 assists) in 78 career games for the Gophers. He had 26 points (12 goals and 14 assists) in 38 games last season, after earning All-Big Ten Rookie Team honors as a freshman in 2013-14. A fourth-round pick (118th overall) of the Los Angeles Kings in 2013, whose NHL rights are currently held by the Buffalo Sabres, Fasching represented his country in the 2014 and 2015 IIHF World Junior Championships.
Bischoff is one of the most experienced defenseman the Gophers have, with 64 career games under his belt entering his junior season. He set career highs in points (11) and assists (eight) last season, while also matching his career high in goals with three. Bischoff was drafted by the New York Islanders in the seventh round (185th overall) of the 2012 draft.
All three of the Gophers’ newly anointed alternate captains are Minnesota products, with Reilly from Chanhassen, Fasching from Burnsville and Bischoff from Grand Rapids.
More from Gold and Gopher
- Must-have Minnesota Golden Gophers items for football season
- Minnesota Golden Gophers Father’s Day Gift Guide
- Minnesota Golden Gophers Gift Guide: 10 Man Cave must-haves
- Get Golden Gophers News, in the New FanSided Android App
- Gold and Gopher Madness: Win $500 or an Apple TV from RetailMeNot and LockerDome
The Golden Gophers men’s hockey team will start their season on Oct. 10, with a home game at Mariucci Arena against Vermont.
More from Minnesota Hockey
- Former Golden Gopher Blake Wheeler Extends Point Streak To Start Season
- Former Golden Gopher Thomas Vanek Scores 300th NHL Goal
- Golden Gophers’ Men’s Hockey Is Top-10 Team In National Preseason Poll
- Golden Gophers Men’s Hockey Team Voted Second In Big Ten Coaches’ Poll
- Former Golden Gopher Erik Johnson Signs Contract Extension With Colorado Avalanche